Sunrays

Blogger Template by ThemeLib.com

Irresistible Grace

Published by Andrew Esping under on Friday, November 23, 2007

The more I read and learn about Irresistible Grace, the more I see its a question of Sovereignty. Is man Sovereign? Does he have the power to resist the Spirits call? Or does the Creator have power to do what He wants with what is His? I think its very clearly said in Isaiah:

8"Remember this and stand firm, recall it to mind, you transgressors, 9 remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me,10 declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done,saying, 'My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,'11 calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my counsel from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it. - Is. 46:8-11

Here is the two views on this doctrine:

Calvinistic View

The Efficacious Call of the Spirit or Irresistible Grace

In addition to the outward general call to salvation which is made to everyone who hears the gospel, the Holy Spirit extends to the elect a special inward call that inevitably brings them to salvation. The internal call (which is made only to the elect) cannot be rejected; it always results in conversion. By means of this special call the Spirit irresistibly draws sinners to Christ. He is not limited in His work of applying salvation by man's will, nor is He dependent upon man's cooperation for success. The Spirit graciously causes the elect sinner to cooperate, to believe, to repent, to come freely and willingly to Christ. God's grace, therefore, is invincible; it never fails to result in the salvation of those to whom it is extended.

Arminian View

The Holy Spirit Can Be Effectually Resisted

The Spirit calls inwardly all those who are called outwardly by the gospel invitation; He does all that He can to bring every sinner to salvation. But inasmuch as man is free, he can successfully resist the Spirit's call. The Spirit cannot regenerate the sinner until he believes; faith (which is man's contribution) proceeds and makes possible the new birth. Thus, man's free will limits the Spirit in the application of Christ's saving work. The Holy Spirit can only draw to Christ those who allow Him to have His way with them. Until the sinner responds, the Spirit cannot give life. God's grace, therefore, is not invincible; it can be, and often is, resisted and thwarted by man.

As Stephen Mansfield once said (This isn't word for word but its pretty close) "The thing that I find funny in our culture today is that God is this lonely old man with beard up in Heaven hoping, just hoping someone will accept Him. Jesus is knocking on the door, hoping, just hoping someone will open it. In reality God goes after His elect." First thing I see in resistible grace is this, making man feel good, giving him the glory, and most importantly making sure man has a say in his salvation. Absolutely crazy, not crazy heretical!

Lets talk about the outward call and the inward call. The definition of the outward call is this: The call that humans themselves provide when they preach the good news, this call never results in salvation though. The definition of the inward call is this: The process where the Holy Spirit enters into one who has been predestined before the foundation of the world and saves him/her. The first call is only the work of corrupt man, it can't penetrate man's total depravity. The second call is done by the in-corruptible God, and can penetrate anything! So man can plant the seed, but its the work of God to nurture it, water it, and provide the light! Isn't that amazing, we get to help God gather His elect! Does God need our help? Of-course not! He could very well do it by Himself, but He allows us to plant the seed!

The main problem I see when I look at the Arminian view is that God's sovereignty is challenged. Again as I have pointed out before, God, having to stoop to obey man's decisions! That is the whole concept of the Arminian faith, Man first, God second. They would of-course deny that, I mean its blasphemous. But that is what it confirms in every single doctrine of their faith. I will comment on this more later. Here the words of R.J. Rushdoony:

The debate on irresistible grace, was not between some law intermingled with a doctrine of chance miss-called freedom, on the one hand, and the doctrines of rigid Calvinism on the other, but simply between God and chance. If an iota of chance is allowed into the universe then God's Sovereignty is denied, and God is not God. -R.J. Rushdoony

Last but definitely not least, I will add Scripture to back this doctrine.

Deuteronomy 30:6, 8 “And the LORD your God will circumcise your heart and the heart of your offspring, so that you will love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, that you may live…And you shall again obey the voice of the LORD and keep all his commandments that I command you today.”

Deuteronomy 29:4 “But to this day the LORD has not given you a heart to understand or eyes to see or ears to hear.”

Job 31:4 “Does not He see my ways and number all my steps?”

Job 42:2 “I know that you can do all things, and that no purpose of yours can be thwarted.”

Proverbs 16:9 “The heart of a man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.”

Isaiah 55:10-11 “For as the rain and snow come down from heaven and do not return there but water the earth, making it bring forth and sprout, giving seed to the sower and bread to the eater, so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it.”

Matthew 16:15-17 “He said to them, ‘But who do you say that I am?’ Simon Peter replied, ‘You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.’ And Jesus answered him, ‘Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven.’”
These are just the very few that support not only Irresistible Grace, but also God's Sovereignty!! I don't know how you could argue against these doctrines, its so blatantly set forth in Scripture! Well if you have any questions or objections contact me at andrew32693@yahoo.com . God bless!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment